- 7 Reasons To Take Creatine & How To Find Your Ideal Dose
- Reasons Your HRV Is Low & How To Improve It Over Time
- 4 Benefits Of Tart Cherry Juice & How It Compares To Other Fruit Juices
- Matcha 101: Benefits, Caffeine Content, Side Effects & Recipe Ideas
- 6 Health Benefits of Beet Juice & Creative Ways To Drink It
- Incomplete Proteins: Sources, Misconceptions & How To Use Them
- The Best (& Worst) Foods To Eat Before A Workout, From Sports Dietitians
- 5 Reasons Protein Powder Can Mess With Your Digestion & What To Do
- Is Protein Powder Good For You? Pros, Cons & The Healthy Way To Use It
- Hemp Protein 101: Pros, Cons, Shopping Tips & Healthy Ways To Use It
- 8 Types of Protein Powders + How to Find The Best Option (For You & The Planet)
- 16 Easy Ways To Eat More Protein + How Much You Need Daily
- “Career-Ending” is just the beginning
- Meal Prep and Transfer for Race Day
- What You Should Eat While Running?
- The Value of Recovery
- Kids Hockey Collaboration Aims to Prevent Concussions
- 5 Health Benefits Of Collagen, According To Experts
- Electrolyte Supplements Are All the Rage, but Can You Go Overboard on Them? (In Short: Yes)
- 12 Best Diet Sodas on Grocery Shelves, According to Dietitians
- The 13 Best Electrolyte Powders of 2023, Tested & Reviewed
- 7 Nutrient Deficiencies That May Lead to Low Energy—and the Best Foods for Bringing Your Battery Back to Life
- The 9 Best Greens Powders of 2023, Tested & Reviewed
- 13 Dietitian-Approved Protein Powders for Optimal Nutrition and Muscle Building
- 7 Worst Things to Order at a Sandwich Shop, According to Dietitians
- 11 Best Vegan Protein Powders for Building Muscle
- 6 Healthy Snacking Habits Nutritionists Recommend
- What is a Holistic Nutritionist?
- Eating your way through the cost of living crisis
- The Amazing Benefits of Eating Canned Pumpkin
- Best Foods to Eat Before Running a 10K (Expert Tips)
- Repair and Recover: What to Eat After Your Workout
- Your Pre- and Mid-Workout Nutrition Guide
- 8 Nutritionists Share How Quarantine Improved Their Food Habits
- How To Keep Your Band at the OCR World Championships
- 7 Steps to Ultra Success: How to Prepare for the Spartan Race Ultra
- 9 Snacking Mistakes to Avoid If You’re Trying to Lose Weight
- 5 Post-Workout Fuel Mistakes You’re Probably Making
- Food for Thought: OCR Nutrition
- The Ketogenic Diet: Here’s the Skinny for Runner
Melissa Boufounos Official Bio
Melissa Boufounos is a Certified Holistic Nutritionist who helps teen and adolescent hockey players optimize their diet and health so they can maximize their performance potential.
Melissa has been an athlete her entire life – she learned to skate the same year she started walking and played hockey for 17 years. She hung up her skates from 2015 to 2022 due to Post Concussion Syndrome and has been an OCR athlete since 2013.
As a hockey player, Melissa was drafted to the Canadian Women’s Hockey League (2011), represented Greece at the ISBHF World Ball Hockey Championships (2013) and was a member of the gold-medal-winning Canadian National Ball Hockey Championships team (2014).
As an OCR athlete, Melissa has competed in over 60 races, including the 2016 & 2018 OCR World Championships, 2019 North American OCR Championships. Some of her top finishes include a 2nd place age group podium finish at a Spartan Super in 2018, a 3rd place age group podium finish at a Savage Race in 2018, and a 6th place elite and 1st place age category finish at DeadEnd Race Subzero 2018. She has also completed two Spartan Trifectas (2014, 2015).
Melissa was the Official Nutritionist of OCRWC 2018 and NORAM 2019 and was named one of Canada’s Top 100 Health Leaders by OptiMYz Magazine four years in a row (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021).
Along with her education in Natural Nutrition from the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, Melissa is a Precision Nutrition Level 2 Coach. She has a diploma in Broadcast Journalism from Seneca College and a post-graduate diploma in Sports Journalism from Centennial College.